The Law Offices of Ossie Brown
P 225-424-7388

Baton Rouge Legal Blog

Settling a case: Why you shouldn't take the first offer

Since a trial is a long process, you may wish to settle your personal injury claim outside court. The problem is that a settlement may not be as much money as you'd have received if you had gone through trial. Sometimes, offers are extremely low, and even though you want to put the past behind you, you shouldn't take what you're offered as if it's the only offer available.

Settling a case does save money and helps you get what you need sooner, but there's no reason for a person to settle a case for an amount that is unfair. This is particularly true if you know the person who hurt you is at fault and has either admitted to it or has evidence showing his or her actions as responsible for your injuries.

Symptoms of emotional trauma after a car accident

It is extremely scary to be involved in a motor vehicle accident. If this happens, there is always the chance that you could suffer a physical injury, such as a concussion or broken bone.

But did you know that emotional trauma can also result from a car accident? This may not be something that concerns you shortly after the incident, but soon enough you could realize that it's a serious problem.

It’s important to check tires when temperatures heat up

It doesn't matter what type of car you are driving, it's important to check your tires every now and again. After all, this is your only point of contact with the road.

According to the U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), it's particularly important for motorists to check their tires during hot weather.

Defenses to underage drinking in Louisiana

In Louisiana, the Juvenile and Underage Drinking Enforcement (JUDE) program aims specifically to reduce underage drinking. Depending on the age of an individual charged with underage drinking, the penalties may vary. In some cases, a minor may claim a valid exception under the law.

In general, it is not legal for any person younger than 21 years old to consume or possess alcohol. However, there are five exceptions in Louisiana. A minor may possibly avoid charges of underage drinking or possession if they:

  • are at least 18 years old and with a parent, legal guardian or spouse who is at least 21 years old
  • drink specifically for religious purposes, like during a traditional communion service
  • drink for a specific medical purpose
  • possess alcohol while carrying out their employee duties as protected by a lawfully owned business
  • drink inside a private residence

How does the law protect domestic violence victims?

Domestic or family violence can happen to anyone, regardless of gender, race or background. It typically involves a partner or family member that is using physical abuse, emotional abuse or both to exert control of another person in the household.

This blog will answer some of the most common questions about domestic violence and the law.

Use a premarital agreement to your advantage

There is nothing more exciting than finding a person you want to spend the rest of your life with.

While you hope that you will remain married until the day you pass on, there's something you need to know: Time has a way of changing things. This could result in a divorce at some point in the future.

Traumatic brain injury: From diagnosis to recovery

Suffering a traumatic brain injury (TBI) is one of the worst things that can happen to you or a loved one.

The most important thing you can do is receive immediate medical attention, as this is often the difference between overcoming the injury and dealing with more advanced complications.

Woman jailed as result of accident

A 59-year-old woman involved in an accident on December 29 has been sent to jail for her part in the crash.

According to authorities, the woman was arrested on June 20 and charged with vehicular homicide. This was after investigators obtained the toxicology report from the Louisiana State Police.

Alcohol can impact a driver in many ways

It goes without saying that drinking and driving is against the law. Even though this holds true in every state throughout the country, some people still make the mistake of consuming alcohol, turning the key and heading down the road

It's important to understand how alcohol can impact your performance as a driver. Here are some of the many things to remember:

Email Us For A Response

Find A Legal Solution

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


The Law Offices of Ossie Brown
123 Saint Ferdinand Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70802

Phone: 225-424-7388
Fax: 225-334-7824
Baton Rouge Law Office Map