The Law Offices of Ossie Brown
P 225-424-7388

Protect Yourself Against Uninsured and Underinsured Louisiana Drivers

All Louisiana drivers are required to have state-mandated minimum liability protection. This type of auto insurance covers costs to another individual if you get into a car accident.

In Louisiana, those minimums are $15,000 in damages to one person, $30,000 in damages to all people involved in the accident, and $25,000 to cover property damage. While this may seem adequate, in actuality most serious accidents cause much more damage to individuals and property than is covered by state minimums. In addition, though required by law, many drivers do not have insurance or have not kept up with their insurance payments.

In a tough economy, it's easy to see why some drivers might wish to run the risk of not carrying insurance or to keep monthly payments as low as possible. However, this creates a risk (and higher insurance rates) for other drivers. Unfortunately, accidents happen to good drivers and bad, both with and without insurance. With reporting that 12 percent of Louisiana drivers are uninsured, there is a significant chance that any one accident may involve an uninsured driver.

Because uninsured drivers usually don't have insurance for economic reasons, it is unlikely that the uninsured motorist will have personal assets that can cover costs. However, if they do, they are liable for costs relating to the accident.

Keep in mind that the expenses of an accident are not always readily apparent. Costs for continuing medical care, medication, lost work and damage to the vehicle can add up quickly.

Underinsured and Uninsured Coverage

Fortunately, there is an option for drivers who wish to protect themselves from uninsured drivers.Uninsured motorist coverage provides coverage for those drivers who are in an accident with uninsured motorists. While not required by law, as liability insurance is, all insurance providers in Louisiana must provide this type of coverage as an option, usually for a relatively low cost.

This insurance, when added to your policy, will provide for costs not covered by the other driver's insurance up to a stated amount in the policy. UM coverage also covers costs of a hit-and-run accident.

If you have been injured in a car accident with an uninsured driver, contact a personal injury attorney familiar with uninsured motorist claims.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Find A Legal Solution

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


The Law Offices of Ossie Brown
123 Saint Ferdinand Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70802

Phone: 225-424-7388
Fax: 225-334-7824
Baton Rouge Law Office Map