The Law Offices of Ossie Brown
P 225-424-7388

Here's what you should do if you're hurt in a bus crash

You ride to the school on the bus every day. You're a chaperone, so you make sure the kids stay in line. While that's an important job, it does mean you're often out of your seat.

In the case of an accident, you're in a difficult situation. You volunteer your services, so you're not an employee and can't seek workers' compensation. However, you do have a right to a personal injury claim.

What do you need for a personal injury claim?

First, you need to have suffered an injury as a result of the accident. For example, if the bus driver has to slam on her brakes to stop the bus due to another driver swerving into the lane, you may be thrown forward and injure yourself. In that case, the driver or her employer could be held liable for your injuries.

In the case that the bus is hit by another driver, then you may need to pursue a claim against that driver directly.

Next, you need to start collecting your medical documents. These documents contain important information about your diagnosis and potentially your expected point of recovery. If the physician expects you to suffer from a permanent disability, for example, this paperwork is important to your claim for future compensation.

It's a good idea to collect information before you speak to your attorney. For instance, the police report could be extremely helpful, and you are entitled to a copy. Make copies of your medical bills and important records for your attorney so he or she can negotiate on your behalf. If you have time, take photos of yourself and your injuries, so you have a document that shows the rate of progress you're making and how severely you were injured initially.

What do you do if the insurance company contacts you?

Don't feel that you have to take a settlement offer the first time they call. You have a right to speak with your attorney before making a decision that affects your case. If you take the compensation, you will not be able to pursue further compensation in most cases.

These are a few things to think about after your injury. Your attorney can help you begin the claims process, so you have the financial support you need during recovery.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Find A Legal Solution

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


The Law Offices of Ossie Brown
123 Saint Ferdinand Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70802

Phone: 225-424-7388
Fax: 225-334-7824
Baton Rouge Law Office Map