The Law Offices of Ossie Brown
P 225-424-7388

What happens when you can no longer pay child support?

If you're ordered by the court to pay child support, this will soon become a way of life. You may not be happy with the requirement, but you have no choice but to make timely payments in full.

But what happens if you are unable to make your child support payment? Are you able to simply stop? Is there something in particular you need to do?

This is where a child support modification request comes into play. There is nothing simple about this. Furthermore, there is no guarantee that the court will comply with your request. Even so, there could come a point when you have no choice but to consider this option.

There are five things you need to do when requesting a child support modification:

  • Act now, not later. You could wait around, hoping things get better, but if they don't, you'll find yourself in a worse position. Once you know you are unable to make a payment, it's time to take action.
  • Learn more about the laws that govern child support payments in your state. This will help you better understand if you're able to request a modification.
  • Talk to the other parent about your situation and what you're hoping to accomplish. If you can show the person that you are facing a true financial difficulty, he or she may agree to your modification request.
  • Try to stay current. It's not always easy to make child support payments when times are tough, but you should do your best to avoid slipping too far behind.
  • Document your change in financial circumstances. You need to prove to the court that you can no longer make your payment. This means showing proof, such as a termination letter should you lose your job.

If you find that you are no longer able to make your child support payments, it's time to take action. When you know which steps to take and how you fit into the legal system, it's much easier to move through this process and reach your goal when everything is said and done.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Find A Legal Solution

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


The Law Offices of Ossie Brown
123 Saint Ferdinand Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70802

Phone: 225-424-7388
Fax: 225-334-7824
Baton Rouge Law Office Map